Your bathroom should be a place that’s equally beautiful and functional—a space that allows you to escape the stress of the day, detox, and relax. But just how do you create a space that allows you to do that?
Good news—a few months back, for an article in GR Magazine, I pulled together my top tips for creating a beautiful and functional bathroom oasis. And now, I'm sharing them here on the blog along with a handful of recommended products you can find right in our online shop!
Let’s dive in:
1. Tonal Color Palettes: Subtle, tonal color palettes in a bathroom are perfect to achieve that spa look and feel. These kinds of palettes promote calm, relaxation, and peace, whereas bright colors promote energy and excitement.
2. Focal Fixtures: Add some drama with a mini chandelier or classy pendant light over your soaking tub to make the space feel more glamorous and intentional. Don’t forget to be intentional with your vanity lights as well!
3. Patterned Runner: A beautiful rug or fuzzy runner can add color and pattern without taking over the design. Notice how this vintage rug complements the classic penny tile without taking away from the overall design.
4. Woven Baskets: Use natural, chunky baskets to store bath and hand towels. The warm sea-grass or cane colors will add warmth, texture, and help connect you with nature.
5. Contrasting Hardware: I like to mix up the metals in my designs and contrast my hardware with my faucet fixtures and towel holders. This helps a space feel more custom and not so matchy-matchy.
6. Decorative Trays: Placing a tray on your vanity to hold your bath essentials helps a space feel less cluttered. Use pretty glass jars for cotton swabs, and always go for a pretty soap container. Pop in a little vase of flowers and your bathroom essentials suddenly become a style statement rather than an eye sore.
7. Bath Towels: White, fluffy towels are my go-to for bathrooms—they always bring about that lux feeling of an expensive hotel or resort! Plus, you can bleach them, so it’s easy to keep that bright white look.
8. Original Artwork: For artwork, go with something subtle and not too busy—black and white line drawings or a photo/painting of something calming to you are a good place to start. I like subjects like land or sea scapes, as well as shots of island towns, beaches, or sky.
Work with Lauren Figueroa Interior Design
LFID is a full-service interior design firm serving West and Southeast Michigan known especially for our Designed in a Day service.
We work with clients from Detroit to Novi to Clarkston, and Grand Rapids to Holland to Traverse City—and anywhere in between! We pride ourselves on creating bespoke, people-centered spaces—because after all, people are what this life is all about!
If you have a project on the horizon, get started by telling us about your vision here, and you can view past projects here. Thanks for stopping by!